January 28 2019

Gents,

I couldn’t make it last Saturday due to being in Asheville. However, when I returned mid-day Sunday, the conditions were decent so I gathered some batteries and my kit-built Flitetest “Simple Cub” and drove over to the field. When I arrived, the wind was out of the SW, varying up and down between 2 and 6MPH on my digital gauge. (An hour later, when I was leaving, it was down to 1-2 MPH.)

The simple cub kit consists of LASER cut paper-backed foam board that is assembled entirely with hot glue. These simple kits take maybe 5 or 6 hours to build, working at old man speed like I do. Then it’s an hour or two more to set up the radio and control surfaces. I used one of the new 6 channel (620) “antenna-less” receivers by Spektrum this time around, because I wanted to experiment with “Flaperons”, which requires each aileron to be on a separate channel. I’ve learned from past experience with these Flitetest kits that with many of their wing designs, it’s tough to find where to set the “zero” point for the Aileron surfaces. With Flaperons, I figured it would be easier to find the relative neutral position for the ailerons that gave the best flight results. (Turns out that it works well for that purpose!)

My first attempts with this plane a month or so ago had resulted in folded-back landing gear as a result of a less than graceful, semi-controlled crash. I fixed that (physical part of the problem) with lots more hot glue and some carbon fiber struts tacked onto the fuse sides with even more hot glue. Inelegant, yes, but as proven today, very effective. From those early flights I also learned that this cub glides like a brick. It needs power all the time, right up until the wheels touch down. Then it likes to try and ground loop and frequently comes to a stop on it’s nose. (Skill related, I’m sure, but landing is a work in progress for me!) I experimented with 3S batteries between 1000-1400mA and I think the 1000’s are best. I’m getting about 7 minutes with those when I’m flying “sanely” at a little above half throttle. I haven’t tried any acrobatics yet.

As for take-offs, like many models, it likes to turn hard left as it leaves the ground, and today, with the highly variable cross-wind, it was pretty interesting. The way I survived today was to not over-react, but also to gain some altitude fairly quickly. I also learned that once your skill improves with a given model, less Expo is better than more Expo. I ended up with 15% on all surfaces, and that seemed to be a good compromise at my skill level. I flew at mid rates (75%) all day.

If you’re interested, there is a hat-cam video at:  https://lonniehagadorn.smugmug.com/Simple-Cub-with-Flaperons/i-XxJsn72/A

Regards,

Lonnie

This entry was posted in Flying with New Guy Al. Bookmark the permalink.