March 28 2019


It was a perfect day (morning, at least) for a maiden flight, and the new Corsair survived 6 trips with just a busted prop on the last landing. I’m very happy with the results and will now put some time into additional painting and adding decals. The blue paint is pretty good as-is, but the gray is way too dark. I think I’ll add some color to the nose and maybe a few “invasion stripes” to help me figure out which end is up at a distance.

She flew a little tail heavy with the 2200 mAh battery all the way forward, so I’ll a a little weight in the nose. She climbs steeply at full throttle (without any elevator input), but flies level very smoothly at 3/8-1/2 throttle. The 2200 mAh battery will give me around 14 minutes at such a low throttle setting, so I spent a bunch of time in the air.

Don, Al, Jim and Bill Holder showed up, and the attached photos show some of what they brought, along with the Corsair shots. Thanks to Bill for filming me while I flew. (He fired off over 600 photos and got tons of keepers!)


CVRC 31 Thur Mar 28,2019

Thanks for Lonnie for taking up the reporter/photographer duties. Great job as usual. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I didn’t get to the field till 1pm.

By this time the players were: Lonnie Hagadorn, Bill Holder, Jim Bates, Don Jerch

They had been there since 9am. TALK ABOUT HE-MEN! Too fresh for my “delicate” condition. Lonnie had just taken off with his “paper” FliteTest Cub. Now don’t laugh, this is a nice rig. 

Flies great, even with Lonnie at the controls.

Don Jerch was getting his Horizon Valiant ready for another flight. He had his new sailplane a Phoenix 2000, on the ready. Nice paint job using Krylon. Don’t knock it, does a good job.

I took out my “Frankenstein” out. I’m a glutton for punishment. Even with the fairly brisk winds, flew Frankie not too shabby “for me”. 

Once again, Don, Lonnie, and Bill called it a day. HMMM! I show up and everyone leaves??? Jim Bates hangs around, (he gets the “be kind to dumb animals award”).

Once the “boys had left, and for no particular reason, I brought out the “dining room table” plane that I built. It’s a 3D ish Red Eagle Hummer. I asked Jim to give it an expert set of hands and eyes on it, even with the wind conditions.

For what this plane is, it actually flies pretty decent. Jim’s words. Jim does a bunch of tweaking and it’s like a whole new plane. Then the wind says, no more for you. Just too blustery to fly such a light weight.

So Jim and I gab for a bit. Jim decides to head “up yonder”. Still have to have that explained to me.

I grab a late, late bit of lunch. I break out Frankie again. First flight, even with the wind, not to shabby. Bring it in, rubber side down. I do some tweaking on the transmitter.

I put the plane into the air, going right to left, circle the field a couple of times. Wind is playing havoc with it. I decide, time to come to papa. I come down the runway  from left to right, too much speed, do a fly around, still heading right, right, right……..

NOW, BETWEEN MY DISTANCE VISION ISSUES, MY SUNGLASSES, THE WIND, THE NEXT SOUND I HEAR IS THAWK AND THEN SILENCE. There is Frankie, straight down the runway about 30’ in the air, stuck in a tree, pretty as you please. So, I saunter over to “shake” it out of the tree. Makes a lousy Christmas tree ornament. 

All you “seasoned” pilots out there know this is a near impossible feat. I don’t climb trees.

Besides, the branches wouldn’t hold me. Trying to “shake” it out by using the transmitter, didn’t work. PLAN B. I go back to the hangar, grab the fiberglass flag poles that are hanging up in the rafters, grab some tape. I go back to the tree, tape the poles together to “knock” it out of it’s perch. With 30’ of fiberglass rod taped together isn’t very stiff. I worm, twist the pole up to the plane. After about 10 pokes, down she comes. Repair the broken prop, lost landing gear, and we can be in the air.

load everything back in my trailer and car. Close up the trailer lid, close the trunk. Go to start the car, hmmm, no keys. I spend the next half hour, looking in every “normal” place I’d have put it. NOPE!. Next option is to call my wife. Not a good option, she works from home on her computer, tied into work.

LIGHT BULB! The cutlass of this vintage has a trunk release in the glove box. BUT! It don’t work without the ignition on. 

McGiver: drop the glove box door, pull the wires of the switch. Get a jumper from the lighter to the switch. POP. There are the keys on the trunk floor taking a nap.


This entry was posted in Flying with New Guy Al. Bookmark the permalink.